ADHD Entrepreneurship with Keith Lemer. Experimenting with how to find your superpowers and finessing the ways they will best serve everyone!
This episode is underwritten by HealthIQ, and we couldn’t be happier to have them! See, one of the things I’m so passionate about when I talk about how I use my ADHD to my advantage is exercise, right? It’s obvious that a workout in the morning greatly boosts my brainpower and lets me use my faster brain to do great things.
But here’s the other benefit of exercise: Engagement in high-intensity exercise once per week decreases risk for cardiovascular mortality by 39% for men and 51% for women, and according to a 2009 Study in the International Journal of Sports Medicine, men who did high-intensity exercise have a 35% lower risk of all-cause mortality. For women the risk reduction is 44%. THAT’S HUGE. If you’re exercising to improve how you manage your ADHD, AND you’re getting the extra benefits of a much healthier body, then guess what: You should be paying less for your life insurance! That’s where Health IQ comes in.
Health IQ uses science & data to secure lower rates on life insurance for health conscious people including runners, cyclists, strength trainers, vegans, and more. 56% of Health IQ customers save between 4-33% on their life insurance, and these savings are exclusive to Health IQ. They save their customers up to 33% because physically active people have a 56% lower risk of heart disease, 20% lower risk of cancer and a 58% lower risk of diabetes compared to people who are inactive.
Like saving money on your car insurance for being a good driver, Health IQ saves you money on your life insurance for living a health conscious lifestyle. Learn more and get a free quote at healthiq.com/FTN
Hey gang! So this week we get to visit with Keith Lemer, Chief Executive Officer of WellNet Healthcare Plan. Keith has lobbied extensively on Capitol Hill for healthcare reform and frequently provides strategic counsel to the Employee Benefits Committee of the United States Chamber of Commerce, the world’s largest business federation. He is a member of The Economic Club of Washington, D.C. and The Young Presidents Organization’s (YPO) Washington, D.C. chapter, was named 2011’s 40 under 40 by The Washington Business Journal and 2013’s InTheCapital’s 50 On Fire. He is also Chairman of the Board of Unsung Heroes, a national non-profit that focuses on promoting awareness & appreciation for the workforce on the nation’s college campuses who keep the university running behind-the-scenes but often go unrecognized and unappreciated. People like Keith make me want to work even harder- he’s crazy-successful!! Quick Fun Fact: After attending a 6 month, intensive Italian cooking school, Keith dreams of opening a restaurant one day.
Ok, let’s dig right in- Enjoy!
In this episode, Peter and Keith discuss:
- 3:30 How did a young entrepreneur like yourself begin to harness your ADHD diagnosis?
- 4:43 How not reading a 700 page book yielded “The Greek Telephone Directory”, a passing grade & ultimately Keith’s first post-collegiate job.
- 8:58 Acknowledging & owning your strengths.
- 11:00 Stirring the pot to find what works, and then better finessing our strengths will take some trial & error, stay positive.
- 11:48 Johan Wiklund’s research at Syracuse University about ADHD and entrepreneurship. https://www.wi.tum.de/attention-deficit-hyperactivity-disorder-adhd-promotes-entrepreneurial-skills/
- 12:32 ADHD Kids who were not loving school, making strides via https://www.specializedfoundation.org “Riding for Focus, with The Specialized Foundation’s Ted Theocheung and Dr. Kimberly Price” https://www.fasterthannormal.com/ftn-76-riding-for-focus-with-the-specialized-foundations-ted-theocheung-and-dr-kimberly-price/
- 13:20 “The Quest for Dopamine”. How do you stay focused daily?
- 15:15 How Wellnet.com is lobbying for healthcare reform on Capitol versus their end user customers.
- 17:25 With this superpower, there is no option for failure.
- 18:00 KLemer@wellnet.com 800-808-1014
- 18:58 Faster Than Normal Podcast info and Credits.
As always, leave us a comment below, drop us a review on iTunes (PLEASE!) and of course, subscribe to the podcast if you haven’t already! Know of anyone you think should be on the FTN podcast? Shoot us a note – We’d love to hear from you!