Center for Disease Control and Prevention Lead Epidemiologist Susanna Visser
Remember the movie “Outbreak?” This is nothing like that.
Today’s guest is Susanna Visser, DrPH, MS, Lead Epidemiologist, Child Development Studies Team, Division of Human Development and Disability, National Center on Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (Whew!!)
Stick with us, the audio on this one isn’t perfect, but we’re getting better with each episode! Huge thanks to Dr. Visser for taking some time to join us!
In this episode:
- What made Susana want to study this niche
- Why a large part of society doesn’t believe ADD/ADHD is a disorder
- Symptoms vs impairments
- Medication vs behavioral support
- Trends in education of parents, teachers and employers
- Suggestions for parents of kids with ADHD
- Social Perception
- Owning the disorder and not hiding it
- Leveraging strengths and good behaviors